Friday, November 16, 2007

Safety in Public Schools

I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be stabbed. It reminds me of a stand up comedian, Nick, who said, "getting stabbed is not like getting shot. It's like your there the whole time. When you get shot your just walking along and then BAM, you get shot and your like man that really hurts, but if you get stabbed you can actually see it coming, and then you see it going. No thank you, if I can go through life without being stabbed, I win." Not that I really fear for my life when on campus, but reading your blog just reminded me of it. Anyway, I agree that campus security gaurds are a joke, especially in middle schools and high schools. Metal detectors are a bit extreme, and the problem lies closer to home. There is no question in my mind that the majority of the responsiblity of school shootings rests on the parents of that child or children. If a child were to grow up in a loving nuturing environment the chances of him/her bringing a gun to school is drastically decreased. Research shows that the majority of shootings are a result of lack of a parental rolemodel, drug abuse at home, or mal-nurtured kids. The best way to stop a problem is to cut it off at the source, and that is at the parental level, teaching parents how to be parents sounds like as adequate idea as to minimize school shootings.
Give a kid a hug, and save someone's life.

No comments: